RATZILLA (VIDEO): Thor the wild rat's 1st birthday (July 11, 2013)

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines
Thor the wild rat on his 1st birthday. He's overflowing with cuteness, isn't he!



Music: 'Descendant of the Shinobi' from Final Fantasy 7



Meet Thor, a wild rat with agouti color (reddish brown) whom I have raised since rescuing it as an orphaned pinkie. It was his first birthday on July 11th 2013. What a big boy and while he was once upon a time full of scars and emancipated -- he's now the bossy leader of the pack!

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines



He actually came with a sister whom I found 2 days later, but she didn't make it. Fortunately for Thor, there was a nursing mother the time I found him and he was adopted with all the love from the surrogate mum. I just made a simple birthday celebration and video.

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines


Thor was really a blessing when he came! A little history: most of the rats you could find here in the Philippines were albinos, black, and hooded. There were agouti hooded, but believe me, selfie agoutis were unheard of before I began breeding them. They may be common nowadays, but believe me, he was a RARITY back then! What's 'agouti' anyway? It's characterized by a reddish brown color and as seen in the photos, this is the color of rats in the wild, as with many other animals.

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines


I don't know what was wrong with him, but after his first birthday he became more and more aggressive that the other boys were very afraid of him. There was no choice but to keep him in a separate cage. Yes, Thor is straight from the wild rat pool of genes so this is expected.

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines



Now my goal was to someday breed out the bad temperament. It came into fruition, and currently, I have a wonderful big agouti boy named Thoriel, born January 2014. He's very sweet and friendly to his roommates! (More of Thoriel in another post!)

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines



Thor has left me with nothing with fond and happy memories even if he was gone by October 2013. No he didn't die. He just ransacked the cage that I made and ran away. I've only seen him come by a few times late in 2013, but not anymore. He's a pretty intelligent boy and his instinct for survival would surely help him. I noticed he just wasn't made for captivity so it was a just end to our relationship. Bittersweet, but if that's the path that he chooses, then there's no stopping him. Wherever you are now, I always loves you Thor!

Thor the wild rat, rattus norvegicus, pet rats in philippines





*This post was originally from my other blog 'Rattus Choki'. I'm migrating the content of that blog here to consolidate everything into one place. This is not a Copy-Paste post, it's all re-worded and fresh.*