RATZILLA: The shocking truth about rat sounds

rats making sound
Rats are very gorgeous creatures. Sometimes they even make cute sounds! Let's investigate some more...



This post contains video. You may not be able to view while on mobile.


Hey broz! I hope you could spare a few minutes of your time to read this even if you're not an avid fan of rats. Thanks in advance! =)

Rats are known to emit super high frequency sounds that cannot be audible to the human range of hearing. I could recall from a documentary (can't recall the source anymore), this high frequency sound also helps rats to NOT be detected by predators.


Laghter in rats scientifically documented, proves to be a milestone for neurology...
In recent years, Dr. Jaak Panksepp, a neurologist, has discovered that rats make a laughing sound when you tickle them. It's not audible to human hearing so he used a transcoder to lower the pitch to levels that could be heard by humans. The result is nothing short of astonishing!




The music of rat sounds...
It is not unknown to pet rat owners however, that rats do give out sounds that ARE audible to the human ear. One of them is called bruxing or boggling when rats are happy or stressed. Here are some cute vids on from the web.








Here's my share, thanks for watching!
I don't want this post to be too long or sound technical so it culminates to these last two videos. They really make such cute sounds, and I never heard them before! In the first video, I noticed a shriek from my rat Thoriel when he was about to go off-balance and I decided to investigate by isolating and amplifying the sound to verify what I have just heard. Software used was Sony Sound Forge.



The second video gets a little more intimate...